BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 71: The bond between a brother and a sister

When I was little, I had a...decent...relationship with my brother. But I don't ever remember a time where I hero worshiped him. And as we grew up, we grew further and further apart. By 17, I barely knew him and now, at 27, I don't even speak to him. Nor do I really want to. We are very different people who live very different lives and can't find a middle ground of acceptance.

And so, with that perspective, I have a deep appreciation for the love my son and daughter have for each other. Sometimes, it's annoying, because my beautiful daughter is insanely protective of my crazy son. If he gets hurt, she is right there to kiss his owies. If he is in trouble, she's right there to tell him it's okay.

She gets mad at him and she doesn't always like to share. And there are even times when she gets angry that he gets more attention or more special privileges. (She doesn't realize she got the same things when she was 2 and 3).

But from the moment we brought "baby noah" home from the hospital, she has been totally and completely smitten with her baby brother.

She never complained about having to feed him or hold him for me. To pose for pictures or get him dressed.

He's always been her little man.

And sometimes I think that she takes as much ownership of him as I do. He is "our" baby.

And the neat thing about that is:

She is his hero.

He wants to do everything she does.

Be everywhere she is.

He hates when she goes to school or to friends' houses, asks constantly about when she will be back, and screams in joy and celebration when he finally sees her again.

And even now, though they do fight and Noah has been known to throw screwdrivers at her head, bite her tummy and hit her when he gets mad, she still takes care of him like a little mommy, and she is still his hero, in every way.


They are amazing kids. I'd be so lost without them. And I am so glad that they have the bond that they do, even if it makes my life harder some times.

0 comments: