BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 76: Bizarre how things work....

Warning: If you don't like blog entries with no pictures, hit your back button now. This is a no picture story.

This is the story...an epic story of how weirdly small our world is...

and how once again I know that I did the absolute right thing in coming here.

Alright - here's how the story goes:

2 months ago, I gained employment by working as a contractor for an early intervention agency nearby. When I contracted for this position, I was under the impression that I would be servicing somewhere around 20 to 30 children. However, as of today I have 8 and a set of triplets, that I count as 1.

This is not enough to survive long term. However, I have made a few financially wise decisions and have not needed to stress to much as most of my bills are paid through May. But as time is constantly going by faster and faster, I have started to get a bit worried. I try not to worry like I used to, as I feel so much healthier and lucky here, but alas, it was sneaking up on me.

Okay, continuing on.

The last client I picked up (let me just stop and say that I have to be very careful here, so I may be a bit vague, because of my non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements) was a bit intimidating. Have I ever mentioned I'm terrified of birds. Like really terrified of them. I always joke that my eyes were gouged out by birds in another life, because I am terrified that birds want to eat my eye balls. It just so happens this family breed birds. Like have an aviary of mating pairs in the garage and pets of them in their house and babies. Yea...birds.

So many birds that I almost called my boss to ask if I could decline the child. But I almost instantly fell in love with the munchkin and began services. One of my appointments, I noticed one of the home schooled older daughters struggle with her school work and mentioned that I also tutor if she ever needed any help (this is a very large family). She instantly took me up on my offer and I began tutoring not 1, but 3 of her older children. This second income has really been a saving income for me, and I really really love the older kids. They are great kids with huge hearts.

But unfortunately, even that combined with my other job isn't going to cut it long term. As I rent a really nice house and my rent is more then both incomes combined. So after a long discussion with the people in my life, I decided I needed to do something different. Something big.

A lot of the children I work with are foster children, and that is been so enlightening for me. That I seriously have been considering becoming a foster parent. My house and vehicle are big enough and I already have my Level 1 clearance card, Article 9 training, CPR/First Aid, etc. I also having the training to help medically fragile and developmentally disabled children.

So I went through the application process and had my home visit scheduled for tomorrow. But I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket, so I also applied for a couple jobs. Thus, the job interview last Friday. The job was at an agency much like the one I already work for. I didn't feel great about it, but ya know, you never know.

Alright, fast forward to today. I was at what I often call the "bird house". I mentioned to the mom that I may not be continuing my services for the little one, but that I wanted to keep tutoring and find out if she'd be flexible with the hours. She was asking me why, and I told her the reason and about the job interview and fostering and whatnot. The conversation turned to agencies and she asked which I was going through. I told her then asked about hers.

Small world.

Her agency is the one I interviewed at on Friday. Which is bizarre for 2 reasons. A. It's a pretty small agency in a different town. B. What are the odds of 1 of only 9 families would be there where I interviewed.

So we talked so more and she was telling me how her and the owner are super close friends. Then she said...I'm going to call her and put in some good words for you BUT if you don't get the job...my little one just got approved for 120 hours of respite a month. Would you be interested in coming and working here instead. The hours are flexible, pay comes from the state and the munchkin is already comfortable with you. I'm like - are you kidding me?? I'd love that. But I'm not respite certified. She says, let me make call the owner of the agency and see what I can find out.

Fast forward a couple hours and I get a phone call from the owner of the agency. She basically said that up until last night, they were going to offer me the position. Then someone walked in that had all my qualifications, but she is bilingual. And since that is a huge need here, they had voted last night to hire her instead. She is keeping my resume because she doesn't feel like the chapter is closed and if a position does come open, she wants me for it. However, she would like me to come in at 8am Monday morning for my respite training and I will be certified when I leave at 5. Meaning that I will be able to start working at the bird house practically full time on Tuesday.

The amazing part is - I can keep on tutoring, work 30 hours a week doing respite, and still keep my job that I love right now. I can juggle my schedule around so that I do two appointments in the mornings, be at the bird house by 11, work 6 hours and still be there to pick up bri before 6, when after school care ends. And - I'll make enough to not just live, but live comfortably.

I just am blown away how things have worked out for me since I've come here. How one door has opened another and another. So that's my story. I feel so lucky today and believe the universe responds when you are positive and healthy and make decisions based on what's best for you and your family and not worrying about anyone else.

0 comments: