BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 79: The backyard

If you don't remember what my yard looked like before today, you can get a little reminder referring to a previous blog by clicking here.

After really thinking about and talking to Tammy, I've decided to really invest some time and a little money into my backyard. I realize I'm renting, so some may argue that it's a waste. However, I adore my house, I doubt I will be moving for a very very long time. In fact, unless I marry a millionaire or die, I imagine myself in this house that I love for years to come.

So today, I began the work. After a trip to walmart we began. I planted 144 seeds (actually more since each pellet has 2 or 3 seeds in it) into the mini green house things you can buy at walmart. The is supposed to jump start growth before transferring them into the ground.


We also bought 10 different pots to have some pretty flowers on the porch, which we will plant tomorrow. We kinda cleared out Wal-mart, so we are going to go to Home Depot and check out their selection if we need more.


And then we began the real work. As you can see, I have some major weeds growing. But I also have a large LARGE rock problem. In order to get grass growing, I need to rake out all the rocks and kill all the weeds. So I made a lot of progress today, I'm well over half way to getting the rocks raked out, I have 2 ripped up pinkies and a blister to prove it. And about half the weeds are gone.


The original plan was to roto-till the back yard and then plant grass seed. However, that plan is dead now, as the ground is to hard to till. The new plan is to completely saturate the backyard in water tomorrow, then lay the grass seed, then cover the grass seed in top soil and water it again. Keep watering til grass grows. Theoretically, I think it will work.

I also have a couple goodie treats that are going to take my back yard from plain to amazing. But I don't want to share them yet....

You'll see as it progresses. :)

0 comments: