BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 44: Movies

Anyone that has known me for longer then 10 minutes, know that I am seriously obsessed with movies. I am probably the reason red box stay in business.

And I don't just like watching movies, I'm constantly reading about movies. How they were made, where they were filmed, the ideas behind them. In my head, I analyze them. Which is why I always say that I can like any movie, because I can always find something I like about it, whether its the acting, the setting, where it was filmed, how it was filmed, etc.

And so today, because I can't really think of what I want to write about, I'm going to chronicle what I believe to be my Top 10 favorite movies. It's always subject to change, so we'll call it my To 10 for now.

10. The Twilight Series

Favorite Quote:
About three things I was absolutely positive: First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-and I didn't know how dominant that part might be-that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

Alright - This is something of an honorable mention. I definitely am a follower of the series, though I prefer the books. I see something in the series that is more then the cheesy, sparkling vampire and the pouty girl. I see a love story. I see trials, failures, success, overcoming the impossible. I see a love that transcends life and death, and that keeps me coming back.

9. The Notebook

Favorite Quote:
So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day. Will you do something for me, please? Just picture your life for me? 30 years from now, 40 years from now? What's it look like? If it's with him, go. Go! I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that's what you really wanted. But don't you take the easy way out.

I have to, of course, include the movie that inspired the name of my son. As you will see from the rest of my list, Chick flicks are not generally my thing. I make a few exceptions, but overall, not generally for me. This is truly my exception. The movie, based on a book by Nicholas Sparks, hits every reality, every struggle, every beautiful thing about a real, honest relationship.
8. Get Him to the Greek/Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Favorite Quote:
I was watching the news one day and I saw footage about, uh, war, and I think it was in Darfur, or Rwanda, or Zimbabwe, or one of 'em, and I thought, 'this isn't right, is it?' And I made some phone calls and it turns out, it isn't.

Get Him to the Greek was actually a spin-off of the move Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I think Greek is better, but I love them both. A. Russell Brand is Gorgeous and has an accent the makes me a little weak kneed. B. The whole movie is filled with one liners and sarcasm that makes me still laugh out loud when I watch it. C. I'm hopelessly obsessed with the music. It's raunchy and weird - but Infant Sorrow is my ringtone. Which is only embarrassing when "Inside of You" blares in the library.
7. Leaving Las Vegas

Favorite Quote:
We both know that I'm a drunk. And I know you are a hooker. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simple means that I trust and accept your judgment.

This movie is one of my favorite Nick Cage movies. Though I love many of them. It's a weird movie, and the first time I watched it, I walked away trying to figure out how I felt about it for about 5 hours. Turns out, it's a sick, twisted, weird story that really comes down to a boy and a girl, that accept each other, unconditionally, though they are both leading destructive lives. Total Acceptance.
6. The Bourne Series

Favorite Quote:
This is Jason Bourne, the toughest target that you have ever tracked. He is really good at staying alive, and trying to kill him and failing... just pisses him off.

Well, what to say? Everyone has seen them, never talked to anyone that didn't like them. I think I have a soft spot for series that follow the same people, as the same actors over long periods of time. And this is no exception. There's mystery, explosions, characters you grow to care about, upset, some predictability. All the makings of a good series.
5. Red

Favorite Quote:
Frank Moses: I was just hoping you'd be a little more understanding of the situation.
Sarah Ross: I was hoping not to get kidnapped. Or drugged. I was hoping you'd have *hair*. So it looks like none of our dreams are coming true at the moment.

The newest movie on my list comes with an all star cast, hilarious action and a great script. I love Bruce Willis, Love Morgan Freeman, LOVE John Malkovich. Plot-wise, it was a pretty standard action move, with a few twists. But the characters and the script made this movie absolutely above average. I've watched this several times now, and still find it to be about the best flick I've seen in a long time.

4. Zombieland

Favorite Quote:
In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets. I mean, one more clean shot to the head, and this lady could have avoided becoming a human Happy Meal. Woulda... coulda... shoulda.

Oh Zombieland, how I love you. First, I love zombie movies. Pretty much all of them. I love Zombie stuff, theories on the Zombie Apocalypse, quotes, etc etc. But this one takes it to a whole different level. It's an awesome zombie movie - with comedy laced all through out it. It's like a spoof of zombie movies, that's actually funny. The characters are amazing, the script is priceless, the Rules make the movie. Just a classic.
3. The Entire Die Hard Series

Favorite Quote:
My ch-ch-ch-chair with me in it? That's very exciting. Let me ask you a question, bonehead. Why are you trying to k-k-k-k-kill me?

The Die Hard Series features Bruce Willis at his best, for the last 2 decades. The latest installment, Live Free or Die hard, was as exceptional as the very first. The second was a bit lacking, perhaps hastily prepared. But my favorite is and will always be Die Hard with a Vengeance. Clever puzzles and riddles made this one all the more exciting and Samuel L. Jackson added a definite flare.

2. 28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later

Favorite Quote:
He was full of plans. Have you got any plans, Jim? Do you want us to find a cure and save the world or just fall in love and fuck? Plans are pointless. Staying alive's as good as it gets.

These movies, in my humble opinion, are the best zombie movies out there. I've read a lot of controversy about switching from a British director to an American director and the quality of the second not being as good. However, I didn't really think one was better or worse then the other. They were two different stories about the same virus. And perhaps the most realistic in terms of what could actually spark a zombie apocalypse. The use of music for the creep factor was phenomenally done, the use of color and tones set the moods perfectly, and the zombies were effectively yucky and creepy. I love them

1. Fight Club

Favorite Quote: (As if I could pick just one)

Fuck damnation, man! Fuck redemption! We are God's unwanted children? So be it!

God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Alright - I could post about 10 more here and still want to post more. To me, this movie was profound. It was enlightening and sickening and in your face. It was twisted and wrong and so validly true to today's world. It's a cult classic now, and many, many people don't like it. The funny thing about movies like this is that you can tell a lot about your compatibility with a person by asking them about this type of movie.



Some other honorable mentions go out to:
300, P.S. I love you, Rock n' Rolla, Law Abiding Citizen, Identity, Crank, and The Transporter Series.

0 comments: